Friday 16 September 2011

RANDOM HAPPENINGS @ WORK

I love mints. It just feels good when I want to bring out money from my wallet and it's all crispy new notes. I also like the fresh smell. I understand why a lot of people want it when they come to the bank to withdraw, but some people really crave for it. I once had a boss, "Frank" and whenever he wants to withdraw, he would call on the intercom and say "CD" (the name my Hop gave me), I need to withdraw and I want mints in different denominations. Inform the Head of Operations (Hop) to make it available for me. I always used to laugh when he says this because he knew that we can't print mints if we don't have it in the branch. When I ask him why he always insists on having mints, "Frank" would say it just feels good to have them. I agree with him. Some weeks ago, I was at  home preparing for work when I received a text message. It read:

"Morning Che, last night I dreamt that you were giving out N100 mints. Please come to the office with mints in lower denominations if you have. Cheers, "Felicia". I started laughing while thinking to myself, Chai, na so the mint dey do dem, so tay dem dey dream about me. Ok o. On getting to my cash center, "Felicia" comes to my office and we have the following conversation:
"Felicia": Babe, morning. How far? Did you receive my text?
Me: Yep, but pele, we don't have mints now.
"Felicia": *Insert sad face*, Ahhhhhhh, i really needed to use it this weekend o ehnnn.

Sorry  to disappoint you dear, but maybe when next you dream about mints, somehow we would have it. :-)
*****

We had a customer in my former branch that just loved to be identified with the bank. "Oga Cosmas" could walk into our branch 20 times in a day (not exaggerating) to transact business. That was fine by us. What used to annoy me was that whenever he comes, he would always ask for the date and his account balance. Donning on his sunglasses and feeling like one nna man with loads of Igbo swagger (I am Igbo o, so i'm not hating :-)), "Oga Cosmas" would approach my cubicle and say "Sister, please check my balance (in a gruff Igbo business man voice). After I check his balance, if he wants to withdraw, he would ask "What is today's date?" And after paying him, he would ask for his balance again. *Insert tired face*, please my people, what is the essence of the debit and credit alerts you receive on your phone? What is the essence of having an account officer ehnnnn? It didn't help matters that his office was two buildings away. So he could just stroll in and out of the branch. At some point, I told my Hop that we would get "Oga Cosmas" a portable talking calendar as part of his christmas present from the branch, so he could always hear what the date was.
*****

"Oga Nduka" feels like he is the landlord of my cash center. His transactions are mostly carried out there and i don't have a problem with that. But what irks me is the way he shouts when talking. He is an agent and in a way, I think it comes with their job. You need to hear him when he is on the phone or even talking to the young men that work for him. I always cringe and feel sorry for them. "Nna, how far with my container, has it landed? Emeka, go and sort out the assessment fees with the custom people. Don't you know that delay is dangerous and we are accumulating dummorage. Have you gone through the consignment that just came in to be sure everything is intact?" It's even worse when he is gisting with his friends. It seems to me as if they are in a competition to know whose voice is the loudest. More often than not, I give the award of the loudest voice to "Oga Nduka". I also feel for his heart and other vital organs, because I feel he strains them when he shouts all the time. He needs to understand that life is not all about hustling and making money. One also needs to learn to relax and stay alive to enjoy the money. Of recent though, he seldom stays in my cash center, so I now have some peace and quiet.
*****

I don't appreciate when customers walk up to me in the banking hall and start to speak Igbo or Yoruba. I just don't get it at all. When did any language apart from English become the official corporate language. Whenever any customer speaks any other language other than English to me, I just keep a straight face and allow him or her to finish  and i will say, I'm sorry, but i didn't understand what you just said. Of course I do understand Igbo, but people shouldn't go assuming that everyone does. Most times, the customer will then ask, Ooo, so where are you from? And with a sweet smile on my face, I would say I'm Hausa. My ID card is not always visible, so the customer won't be able to verify. But I'm sure they would just know that I am kidding. There was a time an elderly woman came for money transfer transaction. On realizing that the money was not yet reflecting in our system, she started speaking Yoruba to me. I had to use sign language to explain to her that I don't understand Yoruba and referred her to another colleague.
*****

That reminds me of another yarn. Why do people abroad send money to their aged parents using the parents name? Why not just send the money in the name of a sibling or relation who will then deliver it to Mama or Papa. I always feel sorry for the elderly people when they stress themselves to come to the bank. I guess the children or relations cannot be trusted to give the full amount of money to the aged beneficiaries.

Enough for now, the post is getting too long. I will be back later with more gist. :-)

11 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post.
    As for mint, its just a mind thing. the fact that it is mint doesn't increase the value
    As for language, you can't stop people from speaking their language, it comes with the territory we live in and some people relate better like that
    And as for money transfer, people have been disappointed in the past o and will rather send money directly. There is no use for the parents to start begging one cousin to go and collect allowance or feel like they are being cheated

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ @ilola: Thanks dear. I agree with you that loving mint is a thing of the mind. As for the language, i just don't like the assumption that everyone understands what the other person is saying. I can also imagine how aged parents must have been duped by the younger relations, hence the need to collect the money themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. long post but i enjoyed it. as for the mint thing, i lurv it too. even the ones dat r not mint, i arrange then from cleanest to dirtiest in my wallet so i can spend the dirty ones first lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Toinlicious: You are just like me ooo. I also arrange my non mint notes according to their denomination and from cleanest to dirtiest in my wallet, also for the same reason. lol. thanks dear for stopping by once again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Singlenaijamum and DeeDee: I really appreciate you guyz. Thank you sooooooo much for coming on board. Hope you enjoy the ride. *hugsssssss*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missed you around these parts. Hope all is well. well, i edited my post cos of u and i'm giving you the versatile blogger award in my latest post. Check it out and please pass it on. #hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. awwwww, tanx for the award hun. Cos of work stress, I just pop in and read other blogs and pop right out. Will def check out the award and pass it on. Will also update soon. "hugs dear".

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol @ 'oga cosmas and oga nduka'. But seriously, how come ALL the cosmases i know of have come across are all ibo???? When i was reading oga nduka's part, i was somehow visualizing the entire scenerio in my head, couldnt help but chuckle. Some ibo business men could be really loud.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Amaka's Notepad: Ahhhh, Igbo business man are loud and try to intimidate with their wealth. Sometimes, their been loud could be unconscious. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ..and i tot i was alone in arranging the mints and non mints in ma wallet.
    About the loud talking on phone,we all figured the 'switch off all phones' in banks may not really work out,but isnt there a limit eg discouraging such loud conversations?.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Tamie: I'm sure we are a lot that like to arrange our money tidily in our wallets. :-). The switch off all phones" don't work at all. Not in my bank at least. The most we do is to caution the customer to lower his voice when making calls. And this has to be done with wisdom cos sometimes, the customer would flare up and complicate matters. *smh* @ such customers.

    ReplyDelete